Skip to main content

Mourinho wants Ibrahimovic, Lukaku to compete

 Jose Mourinho
Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho expects Zlatan Ibrahimovic to challenge Romelu Lukaku for a starting berth when the Swedish striker returns to action.
Ibrahimovic, 35, signed a one-year contract with United this week, having been sidelined since sustaining a serious knee ligament injury four months ago.
Manchester United’s Portuguese manager Jose Mourinho reacts after the UEFA Europa League final football match Ajax Amsterdam v Manchester United on May 24, 2017 at the Friends Arena in Solna outside Stockholm. / AFP PHOTO
Lukaku has made an impressive start to his Old Trafford career, but Mourinho says that when Ibrahimovic returns to fitness, he will be given a chance to take the Belgian’s place.
“Zlatan knows me,” Mourinho told reporters on Friday. “And he knows that I play the players that I think are the best for the team. I always did it.
“I always did that in my life, so if he comes here and he proves that he is the best, he plays. If the other ones don’t give him a chance to prove that, that’s life.
“But I try always to be honest with my players and with my team. I try. Maybe sometimes I do not the correct things. But I always try to do.”
Lukaku, 24, has made a strong impression following his £75 million ($96.6 million, 81.3 million euros) move from Everton, scoring four goals in his first three United appearances.
While Mourinho envisages Ibrahimovic playing a key role over the second part of the season, he is similarly insistent that the experienced forward will have to force his way into what could be a settled team.
“Zlatan is going to arrive into a made team,” said Mourinho ahead of Saturday’s home game with Leicester City.
“Zlatan is going to arrive to a team that, I don’t say is the end product, but he is going to arrive mid-season with the team playing in a certain way and with players having what I call the functional links in the dynamic of the team.
“So nobody should be worried with Zlatan and I think for you it’s just a funny exercise of football brain to try to anticipate what we are going to be when he comes back, but we are going to be a better squad.”
He added: “We need a striker and we have one striker just around the corner that belongs to our family, that likes to be with us and play for us.
“Probably in January I would be knocking on (executive vice chairman) Ed Woodward’s door asking for a striker for the second part of the season and I don’t need to. I have one of the best in the world.”
Courtesy: Vanguard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shocking !!! Man attempts to use father,siblings and friends for rituals

A 26-year-old man, identified as  Chukwuemeka Okafor, has been arrested by the Police in Anambra for allegedly attempting to use his father, two siblings and five friends for money ritual. The suspect, who is an indigene of Ifite-Awka in Awka South Local Government Area of Anambra, was arrested following information made available to the police by a vigilant resident of the community. The Commissioner of Police in the state, Garba Umar, who briefed journalists in Amawbia on Thursday on the arrest of the suspect, said the father had innocently provided N100,000 to his son unknown to him that the son had a devilish intention. Mr. Umar said that the suspect lied to his father about a business which made him to raise the money for him believing that it was for a genuine venture. He further said that after collecting the money, the suspect proceeded to the house of a native doctor to prepare a charm that would enable him to eliminate his father, two siblings and five of his friends...

I am ready for re-arrest – Nnamdi Kanu tells Buhari

Independent People of Biafra (IPOB) leader, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu has replied President Muhammed Buhari over the call for his re-arrest. In a statement reacting to the President. Kanu said he is not afraid of arrest and will continue to protect the Biafran people from the dictatorial tendencies of the Buhari administration. His words: “The directive to service chiefs to clamp down on IPOB is a continuation of the Buhari’s dictatorial and un- democratic approach to gover- nance. I find it unacceptable, abhorrent, and insulting that somebody elected by the peo- ple can turn around to dictate to them. “Buhari was elected to gov- ern Nigeria, he should get on with the business of gover- nance and not try to instigate another war.” Kanu also insisted on the boycott of November 18 Anambra governorship election, stressing that “only the beneficiaries of the crumbs from Aso Rock will support those calling on me to rescind the boycott order. “The call for boycott of the election is our legitima...

6 Simple Strategies to Instantly Reduce Stress and Anxiety

By Matthew Jones @M_tthewJones Whether we like it or not, the demands of modern society generate stress and anxiety. The jobs we work and the material wealth we value make significant demands on our time and energy--both of which have an impact on our emotional state. And since most people experience stress and anxiety in some form or another, learning how to better manage these feelings is important to survival and success in the modern world. As a future psychologist, I get exposed to a wide range of theories and tools that aim to help people live better and more enriching lives. Working with diverse clients and implementing these techniques has taught me how to collaborate with someone to make rapid changes in a short amount of time. One theoretical model that can help facilitate the reduction of stress and anxiety is called Acceptance and Commitment Therapy or ACT. Read the list below to discover six components of ACT that help immediately reduce stress and anxiety--empow...