Skip to main content

JAMB crashes cut-off marks into varsities, others

Prof  Ishaq Oloyede

• Minister admits error in banning post-UTME

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) yesterday crashed the admission cut-off marks into universities, polytechnics and colleges of education in the country from 180 to as low as 120 and 100.

The Registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, who disclosed in Abuja during the Combined Policy Meeting on 2017 admissions, pegged the mininum score for degree programmes at 120, while that of polytechnics and colleges of education was put at 100.

Saying that tertiary institutions are at liberty to rejig the benchmarks subject to the decisions of their Senate and academic boards, Oloyede stressed that no institution was expected to go below the cut-off marks.

He said: “For degree-awarding institutions, the minimum JAMB score is 120, for polytechnics, it ranges between 100 and 180 and for colleges for education, is 100.”

The JAMB registrar said a Central Admission Processing System (CAPS) would be used to streamline admission processes among Institutions, while it addresses challenges associated with former approach.

Oloyede also said that institutions could conduct dual mode system which involves both manual and the new module. He advocated for a dynamic educational policy to facilitate admissions.

He continued: “All over the world, there is agitation for a dynamic educational policy. JAMB only admits for National Diploma not Higher National Diploma so why should we use the same requirement for ND and Bsc that is an unreasonable parity.

“We should not be sentimental in fixing our cut-off marks. We need not over-dramatise issue of cut-off marks.”Meanwhile, the Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, who presided over the meeting, admitted acting in error in last year when he placed a ban on the conduct of post-Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (Post-UTME) by tertiary education institutions in the country.

The minister, who disclosed that government has lifted the ban, stated that he was forced to take the erroneous decision based on the information made available to him and the way institutions were using it to exploit candidates.

His words: “At that time, it became an avenue for exploitation and a burden on many parents.”Adamu said institutions were now free to conduct the exercise, adding that its fee must not exceed N2000.

He said the 2016 admission process was a huge success, expressing optimism that government was working assiduously to make this year’s better.The minister noted that government was also making efforts to deepen access and revolutionise the sector. He expressed optimism that a substantial amount of candidates who sat for the 2017 UTME would gain admission into tertiary institutions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shocking !!! Man attempts to use father,siblings and friends for rituals

A 26-year-old man, identified as  Chukwuemeka Okafor, has been arrested by the Police in Anambra for allegedly attempting to use his father, two siblings and five friends for money ritual. The suspect, who is an indigene of Ifite-Awka in Awka South Local Government Area of Anambra, was arrested following information made available to the police by a vigilant resident of the community. The Commissioner of Police in the state, Garba Umar, who briefed journalists in Amawbia on Thursday on the arrest of the suspect, said the father had innocently provided N100,000 to his son unknown to him that the son had a devilish intention. Mr. Umar said that the suspect lied to his father about a business which made him to raise the money for him believing that it was for a genuine venture. He further said that after collecting the money, the suspect proceeded to the house of a native doctor to prepare a charm that would enable him to eliminate his father, two siblings and five of his friends...

NBC Warns Broadcast Stations against Hate Speech

Director General of the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC), Mr. Ishaq Modibbo Kawu, Ahead of the forthcoming elections, the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has said it will impose heavy sanctions on broadcast stations which promote hate speeches. The Director General of the commission, Mr Is’haq Kawu, said this thursday in Enugu at the inauguration of Family Love FM 99.9 at the European Quarters in Ngwo. Kawu was represented at the event by a director in the commission, Mr Armstrong Idachaba. He said the commission had taken note of hate speeches from some parts of the country, adding that it would guard against its infiltration in the broadcast industry. “We are already seeing signs of hate speeches among Nigerians and would not tolerate it in the broadcast industry as we prepare for the 2019 elections. “Our broadcast stations should rather be used to engender tolerance, mutual respect as well as promote unity among Nigerians,” he said. Kawu said the broadc...

Fayose Begs Buhari to Resign, Calls Him Sick and tired

President Muhammadu Buhari has been urged to throw in the towel as his illness has made it impossible for him to lead the country. Ekiti State Governor, Ayodele Fayose, has begged President Muhammadu Buhari to resign and go home for a good rest. The Governor said he still stands by all he said about President Buhari on his ill health and has no apologies. Speaking on Wednesday in Ado Ekiti, the Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party’s Governors Forum advised the president to stop deceiving Nigerians as the truth cannot be hidden forever. He said,  “If not for our efforts, Buhari wouldn’t have returned now. Buhari is sick and tired and even his physical appearance betrayed this and he needs to go home and rest.   “Today, they have cancelled the Federal Executive Council meeting. You cannot hide the truth forever, it will reveal itself someday. You cannot continue to deceive Nigerians.   “Every word that has come out of my mouth, I have no apology for them. Presid...